Thursday 16 January 2014

People who influence us

(image from dunmowbroadcast.co.uk)

This lovely lady was a great influence on my life, and she was much beloved of my mother too.  She was my kindergarten teacher when I went to school in Cambridge.  I was in her classroom for two years, and loved her for ever!  My mother kept in touch with her all her life, and up until this year, I always got a Christmas card from her - and I sent her news and photos of the girls.  

She was always fair, gentle and kind at school, and all the children looked upon her fondly.  She had very long days, travelling up from Little Dunmow to Cambridge every day in her trusty old VW Beetle.

She is 90+ now, and was awarded the British Empire Medal in the New Years Honours list in 2013: it was very well deserved as she ran a Lent Soup Kitchen at her home for over 20 years, raising money for Christian charities all those years.  She has always been active in her church and in the community and is very well loved.  

Looking on the internet for a picture of her to share with you, I believe I have also found a picture of her wedding day:

(image from felstedremembers.uwclub.net)
Little Dunmow, 1945

I am ashamed to admit that I haven't seen her in years, and it should be one of my aims this year to go and see her.

1 comment:

rabbitquilter said...

This is so true! It is only when folk have gone that we wish we had seen them or asked them questions, but always thought - next time! Then suddenly, there is no next time. This happened to me when M-in-L passed away we found some skeletons in the cupboard and I so wished I'd asked my husbands Auntie about it, however she was taken poorly soon after M-in-L and I was unable too. But on the other hand some things are best left alone!! Difficult to find a happy medium sometimes! If you have time go, visit your friend! X