Friday 17 January 2014

Menu planning

Menu planning is not my favourite chore, I have to admit, so perhaps that is why I am now finding that planning the whole month is a relief - just do it once and it is done until the next month!  This is also fitting in with our pantry principle way of shopping because we are making the menu up from what we already have in stock, in the most part.  We know what our routine is for this term with gym and piano lessons after school, so it is easier to schedule simple meals on those days each week.  It makes the shopping trip simple because as I make the menu plan, I just jot down odd items that are needed to supplement the stores, and the fresh stuff like cheese and fruit that we need as well.

I have come across a couple of "new" meals that will probably make it on to February's meal plan, which I think that the girls will like as they include pasta!  I am also trawling through Jack's recipes for some cheap and cheerful inspiration - someone posted on FB the other day that there was an article in one of the papers telling us that we cook the same meals day in, day out!  Well, I guess that we have a standard repertoire that we know our families like, but we do enjoy some variation in the Fens.  Eating seasonally is cheap, and when I have leeks growing in the garden, I make soup - I love it!

UJ brought us cabbage and some kind of broccoli [but not the kind you buy from the supermarkets, if you know what I mean - he calls that calabrese] and last week it was kale.  The rabbits enjoyed wee bits of that as he did bring a huge basketful but then I put some through a rissotto one night when the gang were eating something I couldn't, and it was lovely - brought back memories as we used to grow it in Cupar.  I have hinted that we could use some more....and joy of joys, I collected three eggs from the chooks on Monday - they must think it is spring with all the mild weather we have been having!

And I have declared my intentions on Frugal In Bucks blog today - my bum hasn't shrunk any at all so far this year, so I am joining in with her Weightloss Wednesday challenge.  I am starting today, just as soon as I have bought some batteries for the scales so that I can weigh myself!  It won't be good, so I shall just post the ups and downs.


11 comments:

buttercup said...

wartime leek recipe. Cut leeks into 1"chunks and place cut side down in a frying pan with a makeshift lid with a drop of oil. Cook gently until beginning to soften. Make a very thick batter and push in as much grated cheese as you can spare. Pour over the leeks. replace the lid and gently cook until done. Remove lid and brown under the grill. Bon appetite. Good with baked beans or mixed veg or el cheapo make it out of what you have got ratatouille.

Morgan said...

Buttercup - thank you for that. The FH would enjoy that, I think, but I won't be able to partake with my wheat and dairy restrictions, which is a shame because I always imagine that leeks and cheese would go well together. Thanks for sharing xx

Catsister said...

How about a gluten free batter? I make gf pancakes and Yorkshire puddings using a mix of gluten free flour and buckwheat flour. The buckwheat, (also gluten free!), gives it a nice flavour and texture and, as it has a good GI fills you up for longer! It's a reliable substitute for flour batters, I use it a lot and will be trying this recipe with it! Bon chance!

Morgan said...

I used to make batter with buckwheat flour and liked it, but that was back when I could tolerate soya milk. Now I would have to find another kind of milk and it all would just not be worth it to occasionally make a batter. Losing weight and batter do not go together!

It was actually the cheese and leek flavour combination which I was salivating over and wondering whether it might be time to look into dairy-free cheese again! Therein lies another hiccup though, as I believe a lot of them are made with soya unless I go for goat or sheep's cheese and somehow I just don't fancy that. I was never a great cheese lover when I could eat it and didn't eat Strong cheese.

Ho hum - will think on this one! Thanks for all your input and sharing of options, folks - much appreciated xx

rabbitquilter said...

What about Goats cheese and milk? of is that under your dairy restrictions? I am hanging on until beginning of Feb to start my 'new me' campaign!! I am away the last weekend of Jan with a friend to celebrate our '*0' birthdays and there will be a fair amount of wine and chocolate consumed!!! But come 3rd Feb, I mean business, I can't be *0yrs old, a Nana AND overweight!!!! X

veeknits19 said...

Not sure if it's of interest, but Bodyshop have a sale on & have free delivery on orders over £5, with the code 19804 there's a further 40% off. I've just ordered some birthday pressies. It all helps keep in the budget! Vee x

Sarah Head said...

I know this isn't on topic, Morgan, but I was wondering how your daughter fared with her piano exam? I hope everything went well for her.

Morgan said...

RQ - I am not sure about the other kinds of cheese and have never tried them: I am reluctant in case I get ill - I am hardly ever at home for long enough to risk making myself ill! I would need to set aside several days to try them, and I just don't have that available at the moment - and I am not that keen, if I am honest, so not worried about making the time. Thank you for the suggestion though - a valid thought.

Vee - thanks for letting us know. I don't have a local to me Bodyshop so I haven't used their stuff for years, but I shall have a look at the website with offers like those on the table. Thanks!

Sarah - you are kind to remember, and I am a bit slack for not telling you all! She passed it, solidly but not quite at merit level. She played the pieces well and stumbled a bit over the aural and the sight reading. She is now practising to improve so that she can go for Grade 3 - and I believe that she will be taking Grade 3 theory sometime next term. She's doing well. Thanks :)

Sarah Head said...

So glad to hear your daughter passed. If her piano teacher has not already told her, she can improve her sightreading using the Paul Harris books which are graded. David Bradley also produces a book of graded aural tests which have accompanying CDs for her to practice at home with. Many pupils find both sight reading and aural difficult especially if they are lacking in confidence when it comes to singing or imagining what a piece of music sounds like in their head. If she can achieve Grade 6 by the time she does her A levels she will add points to her overall grade.

Morgan said...

Thank you for those recommendations: I shall head over to Amazon and see what I can find and pop them into the wish list! She had hoped to do Music for one of her GCSEs at one point and then we discovered that the lovely Music teacher was going on Maternity leave so she didn't want to do it with a temporary teacher - and she seems to be doing well with the subjects she has chosen now, and just doing the piano as a private lesson. The teacher is very experienced and incredibly patient with her, which is very good. Thank you :)

Morgan said...

Thank you for those recommendations: I shall head over to Amazon and see what I can find and pop them into the wish list! She had hoped to do Music for one of her GCSEs at one point and then we discovered that the lovely Music teacher was going on Maternity leave so she didn't want to do it with a temporary teacher - and she seems to be doing well with the subjects she has chosen now, and just doing the piano as a private lesson. The teacher is very experienced and incredibly patient with her, which is very good. Thank you :)