Sunday 30 November 2014

Not here yet

At the risk of being controversial, I'm not putting the decorations up this weekend, either!

(image from onedreamtravel.com)

I know that some people are decking the halls this weekend, and putting up the tree, and the lights have been switched on in towns and cities all over the country.

Not here.

Not yet!

As a child, the tree went up on the Saturday before Christmas.  And that seemed to be a widespread tradition in our little village back then.

Now, I know that half the windows in the street will be sporting a fully lit tree by Sunday night, and the scene will be set for the next five weeks or so.  But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

This is Advent. 

 A time of waiting, of preparation and of thoughtfulness.  The celebration comes later!

I am thinking of the prophecies of the Old Testament, the pregnancies of Elizabeth and Mary, the long time that Anna and Simeon waited at the Temple, and the generations that the Israelites waited for their Messiah.

Patience, people!

On the first Sunday in Advent, I am linking to Ang's Tracing Rainbows blog to hook up with the "Pause In Advent" theme.

I'm hosting the "Pause In Advent" here - continuing the tradition started by Floss
(image taken from angalmond.blogspot.co.uk)


7 comments:

Angela said...

This year, for the first time in my life, we will not put up our Christmas tree. At all. But I have just read Gary's "P in A" tree post [Faith,Hope & Confusion] and am endeavouring to show my faith positively even without the tree in the window!

Unknown said...

Hooray for this. When I learned about the pagan tradition of where the decorated tree came from, it left me cold. Most of the feasting, indulgence come from pagan Yule traditions and I try to do Christmas without those bits.

Maggie said...

No trees up here in Normandy yet either but I have started decorating a little bit today with my Advent wreaths.

Nearly Martha said...

Couldn't agree more. Not yet.

Dc said...

Last week on our walk, we passed several houses with their trees up and switched on! Our decorations probably won't go up until a couple of days beforehand. Now DS lives elsewhere, we don't tend to get things out so early.

Kezzie said...

Yes, yes, yes!!! So true!x
Thank you for this!
x

magsmcc said...

Happy ponderings x