Wednesday 5 November 2014

Aspirations

Last night at the school in Peterborough was a very interesting experience.  The school was founded by Henry VIII in about 1540, I think, and is hugely prestigious.  There were lots of little darlings there with their mummies and daddies, and it was fun to look around and see who was there!

It is like the private school I attended in Cambridge, in many respects, and they have very high expectations.  However, they are completely oversubscribed every year, as they only admit 50 extra sixth formers.  The YFG is of the "I haven't a hope" mentality, but I know that it is worth filling out the application form and giving it her best shot!  It would be very good for the YFG to go there, so all good thoughts her way please...

Today I have had a rummage in the freezer and pulled out the soup and bread roll for UJ's tea, along with some potato scones I made a while back. They will go down very well with some jam for pudding for him and the YFG tonight.  I also grabbed some bacon lardons that I had portioned up and we can have those in the risotto that is definitely on the menu today.

(image from theguardian.com)

I have just spent a while on the phone with the EFG and on the computer on The Train Line website, working out train times and prices with her.  She had bought a standard advance return ticket for the 20th December, but it now turns out she can come home on the 18th, so we set to and looked for other tickets.  By a stroke of luck, I found singles that come to £40 less than she paid for the return.  She will have to pay a £10 admin charge to change the ticket, but she should still be £30 to the good. She is hotfooting it down to the station now, with a print out from the web site, in order to try to secure the cheaper tickets.  I do hope it all works out, as two extra days with her are a bonus!




3 comments:

Lyssa Medana said...

I used the trainline website and found it good - and what a good find! Also how brilliant that she can come back a little early! WS xxx

Lyssa Medana said...

Also keeping fingers crossed for YFG - she sounds more than capable of thriving there! WS xxx

Sue in Suffolk said...

Hope all goes OK with both your girls and their plans