Monday 10 November 2014

Menu plan Monday

I think we need a bit of livening up on our menu, and I also think that the YFG would appreciate a little more home baking occasionally, so these muffins look like something I could make in between all the other jobs on the list!

The bag of jacket potatoes is still going strong, and will be on the menu again this week.  Perhaps I can cook the muffins whilst the jackets are in the oven to maximise the use of the oven.  Last week I cooked four potatoes at once, and then I had two left over to zap in the microwave for quick accompaniments to meals.

The YFG is a particular fan of macaroni cheese with a sprinkling of ham or bacon in it, so that will come along one night this week - she hasn't had it for a while.  If possible, I shall try to get some vegetables on the plate too, but that is sometimes a struggle with her.

I bought some leeks yesterday as I have been looking longingly at the weedy looking leeks growing in my vegetable plots and despairing that they will ever be big enough to eat!  I could wait no longer this week, and leek and potato soup will be in the plan this week - I love it.  I shall serve it with one of my pitta breads for me, and a roll for the YFG.  She likes it too, and it is a quick and easy supper for a night on which I am working - I can make a big pot up and then just zap a portion whenever we need it.

I'm still hankering after a cottage pie too, but I am not sure that there is any mince left in the freezer.  I shall have to get out there and have another rummage to see what I can find.  If I haven't got any left, corned beef hash will be a close approximation to get us through the week!

And on the other nights of the week?  Leftovers, and portions of previously home made meals from the freezer!


6 comments:

Angela said...

Pop a can of beans into the cottage pie to stretch it, if meat is short [check my Mince post today too!] love and blessings x

Heleng said...

We often actually make our cottage pie using Corned Beef. Or you could make a veggie one with lentils if you think you could disguise it enough for YFG. I generally make macaroni cheese using half fat creme fraiche instead of the traditional sauce, and I add a couple of ounces of chopped chorizo. As for incorporating veg, I boil a a chopped onion in with the pasta, and also sometimes frozen peas and sweetcorn.

Sue in Suffolk said...

I've made macaroni cheese with leeks in in the past and had forgotten about it. Slice leeks very thin and cook with the mac , drain well mix in cheese sauce and put in a dish , sprinkle dried breadcrumbs and a bit of grated cheese over the top and pop under grill for a few minutes or in the oven

Morgan said...

Thank you all for those super ideas. Onions and tomatoes cooked in things are not usually questioned but things of a green variety are the biggest challenge! She does like peas, and I bought her some corn on the cob yesterday too. Thanks for the suggestions - some of them are incredibly inventive and I like the sound of some of the flavours too xxx

SusanM said...

Home made tomato sauce for bolognaise and chilli is a good way to hide vegetables as it gets whizzed up in the blender anyway and is disguised by the strong tomato flavour! Any chance she would eat cauliflower cheese with bacon, topped with breadcrumbs and grated cheese. Works wonders in our house with non cauli eaters! And soup whizzed up with a stick blender is a great way to get vegetables into kids.

Morgan said...

SusanM - I do cauliflower and macaroni cheese mixed together occasionally and that goes down well. Thanks for reminding me, though, as I haven't done that for ages xx