Thursday 16 October 2014

Halfway there

We've just about made it half way through October and the Stoptober challenge.  The YFG has really risen to the challenge and we have been trying really hard to curb our spending on a weekly basis and just buy the things that we specifically need.  She and I have been meal planning and trying to use up some of the items that have been languishing in the cupboard and freezers for a while.

It was aspirational to hope that we could manage the month on £100 for everything, and I confess here and now that I think we have spent that already.  I wasn't going to deny the YFG slippers and new underwear when she needed them just for the sake of this.  We are thinking more carefully, though, which is always a good thing.

Helping out the lady that I posted about yesterday makes me realise how lucky we are, and how very blessed we are.  I read a post about real poverty on Frugaldom the other week and it really made the point that however hard up we feel, we are not!  There has also been an exhibition of photos of real poverty in this country in the sixties and seventies, and seeing those on the internet has made me think hard about what I want to do to help people more.

Real poverty is hard. Relative poverty is another thing, I think, and a lot of people think that they are "poor" because they cannot have the things that they see other people enjoying.

So we are considering purchases, we are using up some stuff, we are monitoring and metering, and generally being more thoughtful.  It has been a blessing to be able to use some of the savings and some of the stash to help someone else.  I shall try to carry on throughout the month to do more of the same.  We have some big bills coming up at the end of the month for the tv licence [that's a whole debate of its own!] and the house insurance....

3 comments:

SusanM said...

Thank you for the link to Frugaldom - very interesting. We've had lots of unexpected expenses this month too. Thank goodness for savings and emergency funds. Not so long ago we would have put such expenses on the credit card or overdraft, or taken out a loan for the house repairs. That's the great thing about being continually frugal, you can build up savings to fund the unexpected. Slippers are an essential at this time of year. My son's slipper boots have been stitched and repaired often. Keeping your feet warm is a good start to keeping the rest of you warm. I love the way your community is helping out with providing food to a villager. When my husband had his accident last weekend, I couldn't have managed without the help of neighbours.

veeknits19 said...

What a thought provoking post, thankyou for the links. There is such a difference between real poverty and relative poverty. Thinking about purchases and differentiating between wants and needs is second nature for some, and I'm sure these people are more content for making these deliberate choices,and appreciate what they do have. Exorbitant debt must be so worrying. Have a good day, Vee x

Morgan said...

Thank you both for your comments. Things lately have really been making me think hard about poverty and people's perception of it.

Good to have you here, as usual xxx