Wednesday 22 October 2014

Conker crazy

We have gone just a little conker crazy here this past couple of weeks!  A neighbour told us that conkers keep spiders at bay, and UJ has a couple of suitable trees in his garden, so he turned up two Wednesdays ago with a basket of conkers for us.

I distributed them amongst a selection of small glass bowls, and now almost every windowsill in the house is adorned by a small but decorative bowl of conkers.  We didn't just go for the one bowl that the neighbour has in his conservatory - oh, no!  Every room here!

But, do you know, we haven't had the YFG screaming at me to "get" a spider in all that time?!  I am sufficiently convinced that the conkers are doing the trick that they now have a permanent place here.  I dare say that we might see the occasional arachnid visiting, but if the number remains much reduced, I shan't mind the odd one!

6 comments:

sweet blondie blue eyes said...

Please ask Uncle J to send me some!!

I have been looking for conker trees for ages, I hate spiders.

ciao said...

My neighbour buys a horse-chestnut spray which keeps them at bay, I keep meaning to ask her where she gets it. I'll just stick with my spider catcher from Lakeland,love Margaret xx

Gary said...

We've got some conkers on our sideboard - I hate spiders too.

Apparently there was supposed to be an invasion of big ones this year, but thankfully that doesn't seem to have happened.

Nearly Martha said...

Can't bear them - anything that might possibly work is good news

Morgan said...

Thanks for all your comments!

SBBE - I'll pop a few in my bag for you xx

Bets said...

My daughter and I have been doing this for the last few years, and we've seen a huge reduction in the numbers we get indoors. It might be chance but we are convinced and go out getting fresh conkers every Autumn. The other thing that makes us think it works is that we DO find a few dead spiders when we are cleaning up. Mind you I also buy the Amiral spider spray off ebay too!