Thursday 20 February 2014

Day out

We have had our day out today - the YFG has had a train trip to Peterborough and the EFG and I have had a brilliant poke around in Ely.


On the way home, we stopped and took some photos of the local floods.  These are on a floodplain which forms part of the drainage system of the area.


This area flows wide and not too deep for about 20 miles or so, right through the heart of the Fens.  It floods most years, and a lot of water from the Bedford region comes through here as well, I believe.  The Welney wetlands are part of this area, and Sir Peter Scott's Wildfowl and Wetland Trust has a site here.  Countryfile showed their presenter Julia Bradbury there on a recent programme, but she must have visited before the flood rose to this level.


There are actually two channels here, but when the water comes up like this, they seem to merge into one.

I shall try to take some photos in the daylight tomorrow of our purchases and bargains - we had a lovely time in the charity shops, and a fabric shop [!] before we retired to Sainsbury's for a well-deserved cuppa for a treat!

Still on the EFG's laptop so time is restricted.  Off to knit again now xxx

1 comment:

Bridget said...

When we went out yesterday there was so much water over the fields, we could not believe it. We were driving along the road and the fields both sides of us were under water. Your "off to knit" ending made me laugh. I usually say "off to pick up my needles" or make some reference to the fact that I'm going to knit. I'm glad it's not just me!! I imagine people must think it's all I do all day long!!5