Friday 6 January 2012

French sticks recipe

When I do these challenges, I do more baking and cooking from scratch! Today we have run out of bread, and rather than go and buy a nice sliced loaf from somewhere and using at least one of my challenge pounds, I decided to make a couple of French sticks. The original recipe came from a post on the MSE forums, and works every time. The dough comes out of the bread machine, and I knead it a little.

Then I divide the dough into two pieces, as the recipe makes two sticks. Each one is rolled out to a rectangle about 10" long and 3-4" wide. I fold them over into thirds and place them on the special baguette rack with the overlap underneath.

Then I set them in the living room where the FH had helpfully lit the fire and they rise in about 4 5 minutes.

Perfectly puffed up and I sprinkle with a little more flour for a rustic look!

After about 20 minutes in the oven, I wrap them in a clean tea-towel so that they don't overdo the crustiness!

The ingredients:
300ml water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp milk powder
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp sugar
500g strong bread flour
2tsp yeast - I use Dove's Farm quick yeast.

The baguette tray came from Amazon a few years ago.


5 comments:

Karen S Booth said...

They look absolutely spot on fabulous! I also have the baguette mould trays and they are so handy....I love baguettes, and even when I am in France where I have access to amazing ones, I still like baking my own.

Mrs. Mac said...

So crunchy looking and pretty :)! I saw a baguette pan like that a few days ago .. good for you making your own and using the dough setting on the bread machine.

Mum said...

I, too, make my own bread but only loaves. I'll have to get some baguette trays like yours I think - a change is as good as a rest.
Love from Mum
xx

Karen said...

WOW!! they look so professional, but I bet they taste much better than the bought ones. I love homemade bread.

scrumptious days said...

They look fab, and I love the baguette moulds, I saw some in Lakeland, so may well be buying them, once I have sorted out storage! Happy New Year.