Sunday 21 December 2014

Mother Mary

Our church service this morning was centred around Mary, the mother of Jesus, and it was reflective and thoughtful. The minister was asking us to consider how difficult it can be to say "Yes" to God. 
It's funny, but modern women in this day and age are often encouraged to say, "No" to all sorts of things, requests and invitations for example, which come our way, in order to preserve our time, and sometimes to preserve our sanity.  

We had some mini discussions in the service and I realised that the answer for me is to say, "Yes" to God more often, but perhaps to say, "No" to other people on more occasions.  This holds true, for me, in that saying "No" to people gives me more time and energy to say, "Yes" to God.

How wonderful but how frightening I think it would have been for Mary.  I am amazed at the strength of her faith, and the burden she took on in being the mother of the Christ. She is blessed among women after the event, if you see what I mean, but back in the day, given the local customs, she would have been putting her life on the line.

I don't believe that saying "Yes" to God is always easy, comfortable or without problems - I am sure that it isn't, indeed - but I know that if God wants us to do something, He does everything He can to support us in achieving whatever is His goal for us.  Sometimes we need a huge boot up the behind from God to get out there and say "Yes, Lord, I'll do that!"  I'm so glad that Mary had that courage.

Linking with Ang at Tracing Rainbows for the Pause in Advent theme.

I'm hosting the "Pause In Advent" here - continuing the tradition started by Floss
(image from angalmond.blogspot.co.uk)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just perfect for today and we should all say yes more often

magsmcc said...

I'm sorry to say that I didn't fully understand the social implications for Mary and Joseph until I watched the nativity Movie last year in school. I think those tensions must have been involved in Jesus' being run from his home town as an adult. I fear that I do not have Mary's resilience! I have however long believed that churches sometimes require more of us than Jesus, and doing less can sometimes help us along our own path.