Saturday 6 December 2014

Eeek!

Coming sailing into the kitchen half asleep yesterday morning, I soon woke up properly when I caught sight of a flippin' mouse scurrying along the back of the counter!  I screamed as well - that brought the YFG hurrying downstairs.....

(Image from clipartbest.com)

I know what's happened - I brought a couple of boxes of decorations in from the garage for the YFG to sort through, and discard the ones we didn't want to keep.  They have sat on the kitchen floor since Tuesday night, and I am pretty sure that the wee beastie came in with one of the boxes.

The FH taught me this year to set a mouse trap, as I had always been scared of getting my fingers caught!  I managed to learn how to balance the levers finely so that the trap will spring when the mouse touches the bait.  So I loaded four traps up and placed them around the kitchen....baited with Haribo "milk bottle" sweeties!  I had to disinfect the counter too of course.

All morning I sat in the dining room/office, next to the kitchen, working away on the phone, half expecting to hear the snap of the trap.  Not a peep!

I went out in the afternoon and then took the YFG and we went to gymnastics.  When we arrived home just before 8pm last night - there was a body.....and then I decided that I wasn't so keen on all this murdering after all as I had to dispose of the corpse.  Out came the rubber gloves.  Urgh!

6 comments:

Sooze said...

Oh I feel for you.....living where we do in a very rural area surrounded by fields, we have mice too. I accept that we will never conquer the mouse problem, but I do wish they'd stay outdoors where they belong. I don't mind too much seeing the odd one scurry along the floor but, like you, I detest one being on my kitchen worktops....luckily that's only happened the once. Well, I've only seen it once, that doesn't of course mean to say that they don't get on them during the night! Hence I keep a bottle of disinfectant spray out and use it to wipe down the worktops every morning. I've learnt to dispose of the bodies and re-arm the traps when husband's at work....well, it's either that or have to look at the poor little body until he gets home!

Frugally challenged said...

Oh yuck! Little Nipper mousetraps are very well named! One of my best discoveries was the sort of mouse trap which has a lever to set the spring (Rentokil call it an advanced mousetrap) which minimised the risk of either trapping my fingers or having my fingers come in contact with the corpse. Well done on tackling the mouse at the first sign of it - I have many times tried to ignore them and that never works

Gary said...

I saw a mouse, where? There on the stair…

Angela said...

Brave girl!
I didn't know that kids AND rodents love them so, the Happy World of Haribo!!
I have always been encouraged to use peanut butter as bait.
Wishing you a mouse-free Sunday
blessings xx

SusanM said...

We had mice coming into the garage years ago (they were attracted by bird food). I borrowed a humane mouse trap, the type which leaves the mouse alive, and caught two, and released them in a field. When we had rats, however, I wasn't so kind and set snap traps and rat poison. The joys of rural life!

Sarah Head said...

Well done in tackling the mouse. I hope you gave the corpse to the hens - they love them.