Wednesday 31 December 2014

And what a year it has been....

We've had a heck of a ride through 2014 in many ways, and it has had its ups and downs.  

Much of the year has been centred around the EFG and her applications and visits to various universities, and the A level exams which were so important to get her where she wanted to go.  Finances, forms and results were all in the mix.  She got there, though, and is enjoying life in Aberdeen.  Good result.



From April and May onwards, we had to face the reality of the FH's declining health when the Papworth cardiology consultant wrote the word "terminal" in a letter, and we had to talk and think about that one.  His decline had been gradual but it seemed to accelerate then, and he spent time in hospital in June, and again in early July, which sadly marked his death, the day before he was going to come home. He knew he would be coming home to die, but hoped to do it here with us.  I wouldn't have denied him that, but in my heart of hearts, I know that his death at home would have been traumatic for us all.  Our friends and family supported us, and we made it through the funeral and the days in between which seemed so busy and yet so empty without him.

And since then, we have been in recovery mode.  We have had to find new ways of getting on with life and new routines.

The EFG has left home in a way, although it has been great to have her back for the holidays.  Most of the time it is just the YFG and me here, and we have a settled, quiet life most of the time. Few disagreements, co-operation and mutual support and encouragement make for a peaceful time.

My new job is a tiding-me-over kind of commitment, and although it is not an inspirational occupation, it brings in some cash each month, and the part-time aspect of it is enabling me to continue with the other things in my life which are important to me.

I have made it to the last section of the Faith and Worship course this month, and actually sent two unit assignments to the tutor, which feels like a major achievement.  I have just 4 units more to get done and I shall be submitting the whole section to the HQ for marking in March, I hope!

So what do I hope 2015 will bring?

A bit more time for this:


and perhaps a little more of this than I had time for lately:


I also want to go back here in the summer as we didn't get there this year:


but mostly, I wish for good health and happiness for all those I love!  Much the same as you and your family, I would think.

Happy New Year!

9 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

You've had the sort of year that nobody really hopes for but the way you have got through has been inspirational.
I wish you health and peace for 2015

Frugally challenged said...

Your blog is one of the most inspirational that I read. When I see your shed and lupins appear in my feed I know I am in for a good read. However, I hope you won’t mind when I say that the post which the YFG wrote is the post I remember this year more than any other from any other blog.

I hope 2015 is good for you and yours. Have a blessed new year

Mrs. Mac said...

I've been away from blogging of late .. so sorry to read your loss.

Lyssa Medana said...

Happy New Year! WS xxx

Mac n' Janet said...

May the New Year bring joy and happiness to you and your family as you move forward.

Bridget said...

Wishing you and your daughters a lovely New Year x

veeknits19 said...

Happy New Year to you and the girls, Vee xx

SusanM said...

Happy New Year to you and the girls xx

Anonymous said...

Hello just wanted to wish you and the girls lots of love, health and happiness in the New Year. I always read your blog and as I have said before, although our journeys are different loosing our husbands does mean that so much of what you write really resonates with me. I can relate to so many of your words- thank you. sending lots of love xx sarah