Sunday 14 September 2014

Sharing and caring

The poor cat doesn't think much to it, but there is a hedgehog coming for a nightly feast on the cat biscuits, it seems!

The cat who lives here [she's not "our" cat] has tinned meat in small portions twice daily but has access to cat biscuits to munch on whenever she is peckish.  I try to keep that bowl topped up most of the time, and I thought she was getting through quite a lot just lately.  I did wonder whether some of the other neighbourhood cats were coming round to share it with her, but then this week I have been out to the freezer late twice, and nearly tripped over a good sized hedgepig with its nose in the bowl, having a jolly good munch on the biscuits.  No doubt it is also the wee chap which is drinking her water as well!

I buy cat biscuits at Lidl's at 99p/kg so I don't begrudge a hedgehog a feed - the cat isn't ours anyway, so I might as well just put the biscuits out for whoever needs a midnight feast. It's good to have hedgehogs in the garden to keep the slug population under control, although this one might not bother with too many slugs if I let it feast on the cat food!  Balance is required, I think......

Hope you have a good Sunday.  I am off to chapel this morning, and then my dad is coming over this afternoon.  I also have a heap of ironing to keep me occupied at some point today - school shirts!  The weather looks set fair for one more day at least, so I hope to be able to spend some time in the garden, getting it ready for autumn and winter.

4 comments:

Cheapchick said...

So lucky to have a resident hedgehog. in Canada we only have them as pets sold in the pet store. We do have an abundance of rabbits though. Unlike hedgehogs they gorge themselves on the gardens:)

Sue in Suffolk said...

I haven't seen a hedgehog here for years, which is a shame.
Good luck with the ironing, shirts are THE worst I reckon

Dc said...

I suppose you could put the dish higher up, that way the cat can still reach it but not the hedgehog?

Morgan said...

DC - if I had brains, I'd be dangerous! Whyever didn't I think of that?! Thank you.......now just to train the cat to remember where I've moved her food to. I might just leave the hedgehog a wee snack though, don't you think?