Friday 12 September 2014

Getting that letter

As I blogged last month, I thought that I should be entitled to Widowed Parent's Allowance but it seemed to be taking for ever to come through.  I knew that the FH had paid the requisite amount of NI, or so I believed anyway, and couldn't see what the delay was.

I phoned up again last week, and at last someone could explain: there can't be an account open connected to my NI number for WPA whilst there is an account open on the FH's NI number for Old Age Pension, as our NI numbers are connected to one another because we were married......so the OAP account had got to be closed down before the WPA account could be opened.

These things take time........I was trying very hard to be patient, but I really wanted to KNOW!

And, at last, on Monday, a brown envelope turned up, to tell me that yes, I am entitled to WPA whilst the YFG is here and I get Child Benefit for her.  WPA is not a fortune, but it makes a heck of a difference in our circumstances.  It gives me three years of leeway in being able to be here for the YFG when she gets home from school, of not having to take just any job that I can find.  It means that I can be very careful with cash and probably only work part time, so that I don't have to leave her to go and work very odd shifts in Tesco - I have looked on the jobsearch websites and some Tesco [and other supermarkets, for that matter] jobs ARE rather odd shift patterns!

We won't be able to afford foreign holidays, we won't eat out and we won't be wearing the latest fashions.  We'll be careful with our money, as usual, and we'll get by.  We will probably be able to stay in this house for a while longer, which gives me more time to get the FH's workshop sorted out and the house smartened up for viewings.

I have applied for a couple of jobs this week.  I shall keep looking :)

7 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

As they say - every little helps- so it's good news about your extra income. I hope all is well with your EFG in Aberdeen. Good luck with the latest job applications.
Take Care

veeknits19 said...

So glad that has been sorted out, albeit in it's own, slow, time. A relief to know it gives you a bit of breathing space while YFG is @ home. Good luck in finding a suitable job that you like, I'm sure it's out there waiting for you, Vee x

Morgan said...

Another interview coming up on Monday!

Angela said...

So glad it is all coming together- and the right job will come along at the right time. Love and prayers, as always xx

rabbitquilter said...

Good luck for Monday then! It will happen when it is meant to be! Only I hope it is not Tesco's!! If it has to be, never fear I'll stand up for you I had enough practice with my boys'!!! It must give you some peace of mind to know you are frugal enough to manage for a while. Am up your way this wend, visiting my brother and family to celebrate his 'even older than me' birthday near Cambridge!!! Hope all is well in Aberdeen! XX

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased you got "the letter", Knowing what is coming in makes it so much easier to budget and plan.
My WPA has allowed me to give up an extremely stressful job and be there for my daughter and take a bit of time out. Like you I am looking for a part time job but one that will hopefully suit us. In the meantime I continue to cherish each day and live as frugally as possible. sending lots of love to you and the girls xx

Morgan said...

Hi Sarah - thanks for commenting. Good to hear from others on this road. It was not knowing which was making planning difficult as you say. Makes life so much better to know where you stand, doesn't it?!

Thank you all for taking the time to comment - it is really kind of you. I love to hear from you all xxx