Wednesday 26 December 2012

Family times

I hope you have all had a lovely Christmas Day and Boxing Day with those you love.

Yesterday, we started off with presents in bed at about 8am, and progressed through chapel at 10am, with visitors coming for lunch.  We shared our meal with some lovely friends, although one little lady of 3 nearly fell asleep in her dinner as she had been awake since 5.45am, so she was out like a light and had a 2 hour nap on the sofa!  She had opened her presents first, though, and we had fun with her mum and her baby brother whilst she slept.

All the company left about 5pm, and we settled down for a relaxing evening.  The FH retired to bed to watch his Andre Rieu and Bond DVDs, and the rest of us watched Dr Who.  I also enjoyed the Christmas Strictly Come Dancing, Call the Midwife, and then Downton Abbey.  I felt so sad at the end of Downton!  

Having spent the evening with my knitting in front of the fire, I then went and had an extremely good night's sleep and slept in until nearly 9.30am this morning!  Late breakfast for the chooks, but it was so dull and overcast here this morning that I doubt they knew it was morning.....

Today we have had a similarly relaxing day with just UJ joining us late morning.  He and the FH went out to see someone for a while this afternoon, and the girls and I watched a film.  Tonight I made a pie with the left overs from yesterday's dinner, and so there has been no wasted food here this holiday.

Tomorrow my cousin and her family will join us in the afternoon and stay for some tea, and then that will be the end of the stream of visitors!  It will have been lovely to have seen them all, but I will be glad to close the door and just BE after all the company!  Sometimes you need peace and quiet and just to think of oneself for a change, I realise.

Over the weekend, I will be thinking about the plans and budget for 2013, and setting some goals...watch this space!

2 comments:

menopausalrunninggirl said...

What a lovely day! I must say the chooks in your pic look very handsome indeed- what variety are they? We have a brood of ex-battery hens here.

Morgan said...

Hi Frantic - Lancelot and his wives over there are Brown Sussex - quite rare. I also have Gold Partridge Orpingtons, a couple of Light Sussex and some Barred Plymouth Rocks, as well as about a dozen hybrid hens.
I breed them some years, but haven't had time this year. Thanks for your kind comments xx