Thursday 13 December 2012

Double chocolate biscotti recipe

I have made some MORE mince pies tonight to serve at the chapel on Saturday afternoon's Nativity.  But I wanted to make something else, something different that I hadn't tried before - and in my email inbox was a notification from Mortgage Free In Three to say that Elaine had posted today.  I nipped over there, and sure enough, it was a recipe!

Now, I didn't use that particular recipe, but I adapted it a bit, and made some double chocolate biscotti - my first attempt.  They smell divine, and the YFG and FH have both tried them, and they both said that they were rather hard for biscuits so I had to explain that these are grown-up dunking biscuits.  Then the EFG came downstairs and asked me why the cake hadn't risen!  Because it is biscotti, not cake!!

They look a little like these:

Chocolate-Pistachio Biscotti
(image from marthastewart.com) 

and the recipe for those in the picture is here

My recipe ingredients were:

220g dark chocolate, chopped
250g plain flour
150g caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
2tbsp cocoa
4 eggs [medium]

It is rather a stiff dough, but I shaped it into 2 logs and placed them side by side on a baking tray and cooked them at 180C for about 20 minutes, and then cut it into slices and baked it again for 10 minutes to dry it out. The chocolate chunks oozed a little but that added to the flavour a lot, so a little oozing can be forgiven.

It was a case of using what I had in stock, and what I thought would be appreciated here.  I haven't got any cranberries to make Elaine's version, and I hadn't any pistachios to make Martha's either.  There is another recipe I would like to try another time, for Christmas Biscotti which an MSE poster has shared and they have mincemeat in them.  Got plenty of that, so they may be next on the "challenge-myself" list!

No comments: