The recipe is basic, so basic, but SO effective. This is what we did:
I took two cup measures of SR flour, and added a cup measure of caster sugar to it, and mixed them together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, I mixed together half a cup of oil with half a cup of milk and an egg. I beat them together before adding them to the dry ingredients.
For the flavouring of this batch, I wanted lemon, so I grated the rind of one [rather old] lemon, and put that in a little dish with some caster sugar and gave it a jolly good stir.
I prepared the muffin cases in the tins, and then put a blob of mixture in the bottom of each case, before adding a half a teaspoon of lemon curd to each. I topped each one off with a little more mixture, and then sprinkled each with about half a teaspoon of the lemon sugar mixture.
I was then surprised to find that the quantities only made a dozen, so I set to and made it all again! These cook in about 15 minutes in my oven, set at 160C [it is a fan oven]. The top of each one went beautifully crisp and golden, and the family thought they were delicious.
Since I had the oven on to cook a chicken for supper today, I made a further double batch of these, and another double batch of chocolate ones, in which I added two dessertspoons of cocoa to the dry mixture and added a tiny square of chocolate to the middle of each one! The YFG says they are lovely.
I have all the remaining chocolate ones and two dozen lemon ones in the freezer, and the YFG has stashed one lemon one in her lunchbox for tomorrow.