(image from sheffield.ac.uk)
Spends over and above the normal run of things this month have been out of proportion to a usual month, and contributed to the lack of saving.
- The Aberystwyth trip cost me just over £220 with the hotel, the fuel, the meals and the toll road.
- I had dental work done costing £128.50.
- The house insurance was due - still a very good price with the Co-op but £196.31 nevertheless.
- The Skoda needed a full set of new tyres and some repair work done - £449.69!
- The YFG needed some new underwear - £42 for 3 bras!
- School supplies for the girls have also had to be bought - a lab coat for the EFG @ £10.50 and revision guides for the YFG @ £8.25.
- The YFG has been entered for her Grade two piano exam, for £41.
That comes to just over £1100 of additional expenses this month, and all of them very necessary. I was incredibly grateful for the work done on the car before we went to Aberystwyth because I felt safe and secure driving across the country on wet roads. That trip couldn't really have been made any cheaper as the train fare would have cost more than the diesel did, and wouldn't have helped the other end when we may have been in need of a taxi! The house insurance price is the cheapest I found anywhere, and I did look for other quotes, and the dental work was also necessary.
All in all, a very expensive month which has damaged my savings plan irrevocably now for the year, so I will be re-adjusting my targets and looking forward to 2014 with some new ways to save and perhaps a different way of organising our accounting. Onwards, ever onwards - I try to learn from months like these and then let them go!