Monday 16 September 2013

Crab apples and stuff

The crab apples are cooked and the juice is dripping from the pulp in the jelly straining bag on the counter.  The last time I looked, the stream had slowed and we had just over a litre of juice.  I'll leave it overnight and boil it up with sugar to make the jelly in the morning.  I love crab apple jelly so I am quite excited about it!  The only downside is that you can have a huge heap of apples, and it doesn't make that much jelly...

I didn't get the apple chutney made as I was busy with other things.  I had a once-in-a-decade cleaning of my shower - yes, that is disgusting, I know, as it means that I have never cleaned it quite this thoroughly before!  Sorry - this was extremely thorough and involved taking the doors off, and bringing them downstairs to really attack them.  I cleaned the soap and limescale off the doors and screens with a very frugal cleaning stuff - malt vinegar!  It did a really grand job.  The shower looks very clean now, but it did take me the best part of two hours.......

In the middle of it all, I dashed off to pick up the girls because their bus broke down.  Not helpful but not to worry - it is a good service and gets them there and home again 99% of the school days each year.

I have also done more washing today, but I hung it out under the verandah as we have had huge black clouds looming here more than once today.  Most of it is dry now.  The washing I have done today, and at the weekend, has been done with a new Ariel liquitab that I was sent by the BzzAgent people.  It is fine, and smells great, but I wouldn't actually buy it myself.  They gave us enough for 11 washes, but I checked it out in the supermarkets.  A box of 19 was £3.50 in Sainsbury's but £4.50 in Tesco.  Strangely, a box of 38 in Sainsbury's leaps up to £12+ which is very strange and not at all sensible.  I'll stick with my big blue boxes of Persil - I am monitoring it and I do have about a year's supply stashed away at £6 a box - and that does me more than 50 washes.  I shall be mentioning the price when I give them feedback.


No comments: