Monday 6 September 2010

The chocolate and banana loaf

It worked! The recipe made a 2lb loaf and a 1lb loaf - the original recipe said to use a 1.2l loaf tin, whatever size that is. The family have eaten the 1lb loaf and the 2lb one is in the freezer.

So, I used:
150g margerine (Stork, in my case)
185g light brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
150ml milk
300g plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 mashed bananas - brown with spots!
50g Tesco value dark chocolate - that amounts to half a bar, chopped up
50g walnuts, chopped

I turned the oven on to 160c as it is a fan oven (apparently, you'd need it at 180C if it wasn't). I popped Lakeland loaf liners into the loaf tins, and then I used an electric hand beater to cream the margerine and sugar together. Then, in one go, contrary to the instructions, I added everything else and gave it all a jolly good stir.

I filled the small pan first and then the larger one, and placed them side by side on a baking tray, and put them on the middle shelf of my oven. They cooked for about 50 minutes, then I tested them with a sharp knife and removed the smaller loaf. I cooked the larger one for another 12-14 minutes, and then it was done. The outside does go a nice chocolate brown colour, and the inside looks yummy and they smell gorgeous! I made the gang resist the temptation to eat them until they were cooler, but the recipe does suggest that they are nice served warm - perhaps with ice cream for a pudding?

The official recipe is to be found at www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk if you'd prefer. I will edit the photos in later when I have retrieved them.

No comments: