Last night, we moved the broody Light Sussex hen to a separate coop and put 9 Brown Sussex eggs under her. This morning, she has moved the nest around from where I put the eggs in the house, but she is sitting on them, so fingers crossed for a successful hatch on or around the 1st July.
I also set another batch of eggs in the incubator that had failed to hatch the last set of eggs it had had in it. I checked the temperature, and hopefully this lot will have a more positive outcome. I included some GPO eggs, some Sebrights and a couple of the Silver Laced Wyandottes too, so it is a real mixed bunch this time.
They will also hatch around the 1st July, so we may be able to try to foster some of the incubated eggs to the broody if she doesn't have a good hatch herself. I've never tried that before, but there is a first time for everything!
Brian is a bit of a c*#t
1 hour ago