Sunday 18 April 2010

Another egg recipe

Today's offering for using up the glut of eggs is a recipe for baked egg custard.

I've had this recipe in an old notebook for some time and I have no idea where it came from, but it works well, and I use it now and again. It certainly does the job for the eggs...

Baked Egg Custard

Mix together 8 eggs with 4 cups of skimmed milk and 1 cup of sugar. Add 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence and a pinch of salt. Put all these into a saucepan and whisk them together - I use a big balloon whisk, but any kind would do. Don't let the mixture boil but just get it hot, then pour into a large, buttered dish and cook in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes at 150C. I sprinkle grated nutmeg over ours before I cook it, but that is a matter of choice.

Tomorrow, I should get some quiches made as I went to the village shop today where I saw that they had some tinfoil deep pie dishes, so I am going to use those so that I can freeze the quiches. I'm going to do some cheese and broccoli and some cheese and bacon. I'll let you know how I get on later!

No comments: