Saturday 14 November 2015

Paying my debts

Wonder what you thought to that title? I don't have any real debts [thank goodness] but I have owed friends and neighbours for helping me out this last week or so, and I have both times been unable to pay them for their time and effort - as in, they would not take payment - so I have "paid" them both with bottles of red wine!

One chap, who has been a good mate for quite a while now, and if I had had a brother, I would have liked him to be just like this bloke, sorted out one of our laptops. It was on Windows 8 which the YFG and I both detest, and was running quite slowly, so he took it back to Windows 7, and it now goes like the wind around the internet, and loads programmes up much more speedily.  This man's wife is also a friend of mine through the church, and is possibly about to undergo a major operation, so she is often in my prayers.

Another chap, my neighbour, has been up on my utility room roof this morning to replace a tile which had slipped out of place and was threatening to come down. He has built his own house elsewhere in the past, and I knew that he would be able to recommend local tradespeople who would be reliable, so I approached him to let me know who to ask about the roof.  With my set of ladders, he was easily able to do the job himself with his son, who passed things up and fetched things, and I was very relieved that they were able to sort it out in about 20 minutes.

Ever with an eye to the pennies, two bottles of Sainsbury's best for a tenner found their way into the shopping trolley this afternoon. One delivered and one to be dropped in tomorrow, with chocolates for the son because we didn't know what he liked to drink [he is over 18!].

Our last minister very wisely told my friend, T, when her husband left her, not to lean too heavily on one person when she needed help, and I am doing my best to follow that advice as well. People are generally glad to help out if they can, but it wouldn't be right to ask the same person time and time again to give advice or assistance.

I have established a sort of mini-team around the place for help: the computer chap, the neighbour who gives house maintenance advice and assistance, the chap at the garage who maintains the car, my sister who helps with lifts for the YFG and taking her places she needs to go that I can't manage for one reason or another, my good friend T for general chats, UJ for gardening, and my dad for encouragement.  Cousins J & A are a tremendous source of support and their son M took the EFG's baggage back to Aberdeen in September and has already made plans to take her stuff up there next year.  We are incredibly blessed to be surrounded by people who love us and support us: in addition to these people, I know of at least half a dozen more who would help me if I asked them!

I'd rather be blessed with people like this than win the Lottery, I have to say.....

6 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

And I'll bet you are on a lot of other people's teams as well! You'll be someone's go-to person for cookery advice, and someone's listening ear when it comes to problems with teenage girls. You can be relied on for a cake when someone needs one and various elderly people will know you "keep an eye" on them in bad weather. When it comes to bereavement you know what to say and when to shut up. And most of all you pray.

Jacqui said...

That is such a blessing to have. I am lucky too, to be in a community where there are good people to help if I need any. And folk do like to be asked, although I'm sure that nice wee red was appreciated xxx

veeknits19 said...

This, of course, works two ways as you are a source of help, comfort and inspiration to others. This support makes the world go round, how nice to help others. Vee x

Meanqueen said...

You can't put a price on real, helpful and kind, friends. A support network is essential, as is the ability to pay back with kindness. I'll be sending you my laptop ;o)
Ilona

Sandra Ann said...

Yes friendship and being neighbourly is priceless. If we all do our bit it makes such a difference x

Ali said...

I have to say I have spent a cosy hour after a plate of stew and dumplings, sitting by the wood burner reading about hygge on one of Jacqui's blog comments (a Danish concept about winter cosyness) and reflecting on the importance of friends. I am lucky to have a close group of friends that can help us out and likewise we can help them. They are coming over end of Nov to help get a few outdoor jobs done and I will feed them stew.