Thursday 12 November 2015

A bishop from Uganda and a birthday

It's been quite a day!  I have managed to meet about 45 people at a bereavement support group, then I moved on to a credit union representative, and I ended up at a presentation from a Bishop from Uganda at what I thought was going to be a simple Knit and Natter group - but it was very interesting.  There was also birthday cake with the Bishop as the minister at that chapel was celebrating his birthday and brought cake to share.

(image from luwerocommunityprojects.org.uk)
The recently completed new school block above

Uganda. Wow. Children who get up at 5 am and walk for an hour or more to be in school by 7.30 am. Children who are orphaned, and cared for by the school ministry team.  Lack of water so desperate that they are getting money from Lakeland [used to be Lakeland Plastics, but I think it is now just Lakeland] for water tanks, and they have also drilled a well - 230 feet down to the water table. Lakeland has already funded the building of a clinic at the school for the local community - I'm impressed: I may make the odd purchase there again if they are doing good things with some of the profits!  Children in the area need to pay to attend the school, as it is a private school - government funding doesn't run to many schools, unfortunately. There are more than 600 children in this particular school, and the Bishop is in charge of 500 pastors who cover the surrounding area - a big area!  He's my age, and he came to Glasgow to the International Bible College there, but then decided that he would go back to Uganda to help his people there - he could have stayed and had a much easier life, I think, but decided to go back and give back.  He and his wife have a gorgeous baby, but she was one of triplets: only Priscilla survived.

Sometimes we need to be reminded that however little we have, we still have so much more than countless others.  Makes me grateful all over again.........

2 comments:

Angela said...

What a great post - I am just off to Lakeland, to spend a gift voucher...I shall look out for more information there about this project

Angela said...

PS the Glasgow IBC used to be called BTI back in the 1940s when my parents trained there!!