Friday 8 August 2014

Getting washed out

Oh, the rain we have had in the East today has been called "biblical" and one of my friends joked that he was googling Noah's phone number so we could ask Noah to swing by in the ark and pick us all up!  

[image from whybaptism.org]

The rain has pelted down, flowed along the roads, swished into people's driveways and forced them from their homes in some of the local towns; the river banks have slipped here and there, and there has been more water than our guttering could cope with at times.

The vegetable beds are rather sodden, and the leeks look more like rice in a paddy field.

I was going to go north to Lincolnshire this afternoon to see my aunt and uncle after the last gymnastics session, but the rain was coming down so hard that the spray on the road was making it very hard to see the car in front, and we had all slowed down to 30mph, so I could just hear the FH saying to me, "You must be mad to go out in this!" and he would have been absolutely right, so at the next roundabout, I turned around and came home.  We had only just left the local town so we hadn't got very far.  I rang my aunt when I got home and she agreed that we had made the right decision as the rain was coming down hard there too.

We are hoping for a more settled day tomorrow, but we know that the rest of the weekend may be a bit dodgy as the remants of ex-hurricane Bertha are expected to affect this area at the moment, unless the trajectory changes.......let's hope!

The girls and I spent the afternoon watching a horror film called "You're Next" and I was knitting as well, concentrating particularly hard on the knitting when the gory bits occurred!

4 comments:

Cheapchick said...

I wish we had some of your rain. here in British Columbia, Canada we have had nothing but dry hot weather. There are many forest fires and we are just praying for rain!

Angela said...

Good to know that other people have knitting on hand to distract them when there is a lot of blood on screen.
Wise decision about driving in the rain. It was OK all day here but dreadful during the night.
Hoping the rain is over and done with by tomorrow afternoon when we hit the A47
Love xx

Lyssa Medana said...

We had that sort of rain as well. I am glad you turned back, the conditions were awful. So glad you're talking about FH. WS xxx

Sue in Suffolk said...

I'm sure we didn't get much rain here yesterday. Some overnight tho' and the wind suddenly got up.
We have rushed around this morning doing stuff outside before Bertha arrives