Tuesday 21 June 2011

The towel is in the ring

Yes, I have to throw the towel in over the £100 challenge. We just can't do it at the moment - and for such an extended period. When I weighed up the health consequences, it wasn't right - we could keep going on what we have in stock, but it wouldn't be a very balanced diet at all!! We have still got a lot of meat in the freezer, but we need to buy more fresh food on a more regular basis than we have done over the past almost three weeks. By fresh food, I mean raw food, I suppose - carrots, apples, grapes, etc that I can use for lunchboxes and snacking - too many snacks were being eaten from the wrong food groups!

BUT I have managed to get about £200 put away, and I haven't done a "big" shop yet. I have still, as I said, got plenty of food in the house, but it just needs to be supplemented. I will have to go shopping at some point, probably today, because the lunch boxes were a mighty struggle this morning, and it defeats the object if child B asks for money to buy a fruit bag from the canteen!

So, challenge abandoned for now, but new lessons learned - and it does not mean a licence to go mad in the shops - I will continue to buy just what we need for the next few weeks, so that I can put more money in the savings, and then I will go back to building the stores up for the winter - the longest day is here today, so the tide is turning again, back towards the winter. Can't believe it is the longest day already!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done for saving £200. That is excellent!

Sft x

Lesley said...

That must be very frustrating for you! At least your cupboards and freezer are emptier. In the end, you have to do the right thing by your family. I have been trying to use up some of my stores, but then I just replace them with AF goodies!

Kim @ Him, Him Me said...

Hi
I think that you did the right thing,it's important to stay healthy and eat right too.
I haven't set a target yet but I am going to try & only use what I have in the house this month, only buying fresh veg, fruit & milk and what I save I will pay off our debt.