Wednesday, 15 June 2011

Blackcurrants - an experiment

The load of blackcurrants which we were given yesterday amounted to 1.7kg. You would hope that after boiling them, straining them through a jelly bag, adding 500g of sugar and boiling for a further 20 minutes or so, one would end up with several jars of jelly to put in the storecupboard. Some hope. I have achieved two jars - one of 350g and one of 200g, and it is extremely thick and well set. Tastes OK but I think next time, I'll stick to jam: less effort and more reward!

The YFG was up at 4am with a headache, and feeling sick, so she had a day at home today: we watched St Trinian's DVD whilst I did the ironing. She slept some, and rested so she will be back to school tomorrow, and her after-school piano lesson.


5 comments:

saving for travel said...

Jelly is much harder than jam, I agree.

Sft x

Lesley said...

The Maths doesn't seem to work out on that one! I once did something similar with rhubarb. I started off with a load stewing for crumble and ended up with half a jar of slightly smoky jam!

Morgan said...

I was rather disappointed with the jelly but this morning, the FH says it tastes good, and the EFG considers that it might be good with pork. We don't have pork often (YFG can't eat it) so I wonder at that idea...

Rhubarb - I am having more success with that! Have managed to get some rhubarb seeds to sprout and have now got about a dozen tiny seedlings. Just have to hope they make it to the plot and start to produce - and, wonder of wonders, I have some asparagus seedlings too!

Lesley said...

I've never thought of growing rhubarb from seed, I assumed you start with a crown. I am going to try that; we love rhubarb here and it is pricey in the supermarket. I don't think I'm brave enough to try asparagus though!

Morgan said...

The seed came from the Real Seed Company and was not expensive, and it works! I'd encourage you to have a go, too. Good luck!