Tuesday 13 October 2009

Getting there, one step at a time

I'm still suffering with this awful cold, but I am making some progress. After what amounted to four days either on the sofa or actually in bed last week, I made it to the Autumn Show at Peterborough on Sunday. The Show is the best one that the Showground puts on and really had a good countryside feel with lots of animals/poultry to look at and loads going on. There was the commercial aspect of all the trade stands, but they weren't as overwhelming as they are in the summer at the country show. It is close to Harvest, and that helps to get me in the mood, and the glorious weather on the day helped too.

I wasn't so lucky with Dad's party on Saturday night. With the best will in the world, I just could not get up and go. I spent most of the evening asleep, even though the EFG had brought me her laptop in bed so that I could watch a new DVD. That's still on the list of things to watch another time. The FH and the girls had a great time at the party and rolled in at about 11pm.

Yesterday I struggled around the house after spending the morning curled up on the sofa watching a Catherine Cookson film, The Rag Nymph, on "Yesterday". I have seen it before - Honeysuckle Weeks plays the lead character as an adult, and her remarkably similar-looking sister Perdita plays the same character as a child. It's a comforting film, and I read the book too, because like all CC stories, there is a happy ending, after some suffering and a little tradegy. I managed to wash and hang out three loads of washing during the ad breaks.

The girls both went back to school yesterday, and came home full of all the news. This morning we had a near miss with the EFG's bus as we overslept and woke up at 7.45 - she usually leaves the house at 7.55....but she made it. She is very good in that she always packs her things the night before so all she had to do was get dressed and go - I made her lunch and she had some toast thrust towards her too!

Today, the weather is lovely and I have spent a little time out the back sitting under the verandah in the sun. It's warmer out there than in the lounge as that room faces north. I have our bedlinen in the machine now, so I think that tomorrow will be ironing day. I am going to take the YFG to gym tonight, but probably won't be coaching as I am not up to it. Delighted to report that one of our coaches, who was widowed earlier this year, has delivered a son on Sunday. He's 6lb 15oz and fine but she has some health issues so I am keeping everything crossed and praying for her safe recovery.

1 comment:

Bovey Belle said...

So sorry to hear that you have this horrid bug which appears to be affecting people on the forums I go to, from the Hebrides to Land's End (and obviously the Good Folk of the Fens too). Trouble is, once you get something like that, it lays you wide open for the next happy germ that comes along. My late m-in-law used to swear by Elderflower and Peppermint for colds, and Elderberry anything for coughs and flu . . .