Thursday 1 October 2009

Freezer investigations

Oh, my! It is seriously cold in those freezers (yes, I KNOW it is meant to be, but sorting through it and handling all the frozen things just chills me through!), but I have had a good rummage through both of them and we have got:
Strawberries, broccoli, blackberries, runner beans, broad beans, cherries, mixed peppers, asparagus, rhubarb, apple, whole tomatoes, a whole turkey (that's Christmas dinner sorted, then!), pasta sauce in vast quantities (thanks to GTM for that inspiration), three whole chickens and two bags of chicken pieces, rolls, bread, crumpets, hot cross buns, pittas, puff pastry, loaf cakes, mince pies, fruit scones, baguette, HM bread rolls, HM sliced bread, smoked haddock, cinnamon rolls, pears, chicken livers, gammon, bacon, sausages, leftover cooked turkey, pork chops, chipolatas, stewing steak, Quorn mince and chunks, white fish, sausage meat and several portions of cooked mince. Phew! Some of these items we have a LOT of - especially runner beans, strawberries and blackberries.

I shouldn't need to buy any green veg for a week or two, and there's easily several weeks' worth of meat there too, if we can live with the repetitive nature of the inevitable meals. We need to eat more of the fruit - either just defrosted or used in recipes.

I am planning to shop on Saturday afternoon this week and I am hoping now that it can be a much slimmer shopping list that I am working to when we go round the shop!

No comments: