Thursday 7 February 2013

Frugal benefits

Thank you very much for all the messages of support and prayers.  These are for you!

(image from fa.wikipedia.org)

The FH is now in a single room on the cardiac unit, wired up to oxygen, drip and catheter.  The medication had not produced the expected output yesterday so they want to measure every drop!  The water in his abdomen may have to be taken off with a drain - the consultants will have seen him by 11am today so I am allowed to phone for an update after that.  He had had a rough day yesterday, the nurse was telling me, with all the tests and the poking and prodding that had been going on.  More tests due today as well.

I was thinking last night, as I did another 60 mile round trip, paid the parking charges and bought tissues and squash (in a small bottle) and a magazine for him, that it is a good job I have spare cash to do all this with, and however do people with no money cope with this sort of experience?  It's not cheap to be ill in this day and age.  There is no cheaper way to get to the hospital, and nowhere else I could park to avoid the charges.  He has a free tv in his room, which is a blessing for him, and we took him a railway magazine, as he doesn't read fiction.  I have a house full of books, but none that he would read!  I did manage to find a book about Fred Dibnah, but he said he had already read that.

But this is the benefit of long term frugality, and savings.  When we have a need like this, there is no hesitation in buying what is necessary, and it can be done without going into debt, thank goodness.

Again, thank you for your good wishes - your support is much appreciated xx

12 comments:

sweet blondie blue eyes said...

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I do hope he is soon better and back with you all.

I agree re hospital visiting. When OH had C Diff he was in a hospital 30 miles away across the other side of Edinburgh, I started going every day but it was costing me an arm and a leg, so I went every other day and kept in touch via mobile phone and lap top. I had a mobile dongle so took that and his lap top in for him. He could play games on his laptop and also read. I had to clean everything with a cloth rung out in bleach when he came home, I was a bit worried but we had no problems with cross contamination.

Meanqueen said...

Thinking of you. Thanks for the update. xxx

Trudie said...

Hope he'll soon be feeling much better and back home with you and his family xxx

Angela said...

Thanks for the update - you all remain in our prayers xx

Wannabe Sybil said...

Still praying - does he like word puzzles? Word Search etc? hugs WS xxx

Karen said...

So sorry to read your news, I hope your husband makes a quick recovery. Thinking of you all x

Welsh Poppy said...

I certainly agree my own DH was rushed in last week and found out exactly as you have this week.I hope your husband recovers and is home soon you are all in my prayersxx

Lesley said...

So sorry to hear your news. I am praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

Hi Morgan. I hope your husband is feeling better today and will be home soon.

Gill - That British Woman said...

oh dear me, I hope he feels better shortly. I agree when someone is in hospital it can be a drain on both your monetary and emmotional resources.

Gill in Canada

Sandi said...

Hope they get those meds sorted and OH is home soon, thinking of you all.

Louise said...

Thinking of you all Hope FH is improving xx