Tuesday, 14 July 2009

Flu update

The YFG is getting better, but the flu has moved on to me, and to the EFG. The FH continues to evade it, but he is suffering with a sprained foot.......

I felt rough all day yesterday, generally tired and achy with a sore throat, but then it really came on after supper last night. I had the shivers and the fever, and went to bed fully clothed with lots of blankets and a hot water bottle at my feet. I woke up sometime in the early hours, drenched, and had to get up and take everything off. Now I have the chesty cough, and the fever comes and goes but it is nothing like it was last night.

The school is operating with very low numbers of staff and children, as apparently as many as 9 members of staff are off sick and the three KS2 classes which we have here are amalgamated into one for this week. My neighbour has shown me a notice they have sent home today to say that children should not return to school until the 8th day following the onset of symptoms - that notice should have gone out a couple of weeks ago; there are children who got over the main symptoms within 48 hours and were back in school, still contagious.

Dad has phoned this afternoon from Bergen to say that they are on their way home, so the boat will dock on Friday. They have had a good time.

Well, I am plodding on, as a patient as well as a nurse - the FH is in bed, resting his foot as it is agony to walk on, and the FGs are outside, sitting under the gazebo, chatting away. Fresh air can't hurt, so I am encouraging the odd outside interlude as there are only so many DVDs we can watch in one day. Saying that, they have done some scrapbooking this morning, and helped to clear the kitchen up from last night, so it is not all bad!


Greentwinsmummy said...

Oh poppet! I hope you feel better soon x x x x how is little un feeling now? I just hope if we get it I get it last..I can send them all out whilst I groan & wail in peace~slightly hysterical shrek of laughter there....!
Take care x x x

Morgan said...

YFG is bouncing around the place, and being my chief nurse. She's doing OK now, thanks.

I have been in bed nearly all day and have had a 40 degree temperature all afternoon. Ibuprofen and paracetamol together have managed to bring it down, but only to 38. The chills come first and then the raging sweats - it is not pleasant at all; I have been tossing and turning trying to find a cold bit of the bed!

Hoping tomorrow brings some relief,