Thursday 2 July 2009

Can we count?

You would be forgiven for thinking that we can't count here!

We can, but these baby rabbits are sneaky little creatures and they keep hiding under one another - there are actually EIGHT of them. They were all laying spread out this afternoon and I counted them as a matter of routine, and as I got to "four" I realised that there were four more, and oh, my gosh, that makes eight! This is Bubblegum's third litter, and she only raised two the second time, so I am wondering how she is going to manage eight. They all have full tummies this afternoon so she is feeding them well, but some are bigger than others so we just have to keep our fingers crossed that they all make it.

On the chick front, another started to hatch this afternoon, but the FH and YFG were afraid that it wasn't strong enough to break through the shell and so they "operated" on it. We have returned it to the incubator, where it is still breathing but not doing much else, so I am not holding out huge hopes for it.

No comments: