Thursday 3 April 2014

Spring fever

There must be something in the air today, because I have been just like Frugal in Suffolk and my thoughts have turned to moving again!  We will have been here ten years in June, which is by far the longest we have stayed in one house since getting together - we did manage about 7 or 8 years in one house, but then we had a flurry of houses in short succession, rarely staying more than two years in any of them.......

(image from housemovechecklist.com)

Moving house costs money, though, so you have to be very sure that you want to spend that much, and that it is going to be worth it in in the end.  I did sell one house in Scotland for the price of an advert in the local paper, and no estate agency fees, which pleased me no end.  The last time we thought about selling, the estate agents were charging more than 2% of the selling price of the house, which seems rather a lot to me. There are a lot of internet based companies around nowadays, and selling strategies are bound to have moved on in ten years.

(image from rightmove.co.uk)

I have had a look at lots of houses on the internet this week, all within a ten mile radius of here, with the YFG's schooling in mind - and there is nothing that really jumps out at me and to which I feel drawn.

Moving has entered my head now because of the FH's health, and a bungalow is beginning to look attractive. On the other hand, what I am going to have to pay an estate agent and solicitor to do the work would probably go a long way towards some kind of work on this house to make it more suitable for the FH.  We need space to have a bed downstairs somewhere - just a single bed - so that he can sit with his legs right up as he is not comfortable on the sofa or in a chair with his feet on a stool.  A wet room is also looking useful although we are managing to get him in and out of the shower these days a little more easily than we were. Adaptations are wonderful things, and just having a chair to lean on as he gets out of the cubicle is making a lot of difference.

I am going to have to crunch a lot of numbers, as the American tv programmes call it, over the weekend, and perhaps speak with a builder or two about how the work would stack up.  My brain whirls with all this information and debating to think about - and the FH isn't really interested in making big decisions as all he contributes to the debate is a reassuring, "whatever you want to do is fine with me....." - big help that is!

Good news on the ISA this morning - I checked my balances and I have a nice little lump sum of interest which has just been paid onto the ISA balance - I do like compound interest, and it also increases the balance of the ISA without affecting my allowance too.  It cheered me up, because I don't seem to be able to save much from our income at the moment, with all the expenses pouring out of our accounts!

Decisions, decisions - too much to think about - better head off to bed and dream about it all xxx

4 comments:

rabbitquilter said...

I wish you luck with thoughts of moving, not an easy decision. You will know when the right new home comes along and is time to move! I have to say I love my home, it is the first house since I was a child where I feel completely comfortable and safe, but like you, Husband is not getting any younger and we may have to think of moving in the future, I dread that day!

Angela said...

Big decisions indeed - I am sure that the Right Home will come along at the right moment. Bungalows with wet rooms and walk-in showers are a real blessing as people get less mobile. Have you considered one of those Ikea daybed/sofa thingies? Once EFG is off at Uni - soon followed by YFG, your daily needs will change dramatically. Makes sense to plan sooner rather than later...
Thoughts and prayers that you will be guided along the right paths [Prov 3v5&6!!] love xx

SusanM said...

Just a thought - if you move house, you may have to spend a lot of money and effort making it right for you, which, added to the cost of moving could be more expensive and stressful than staying put and making alterations to your current home. When we lived down south, I remember that there weren't many bungalows. There seem to be many more up here in rural Scotland. Like you, we've been in our current home longer than we've ever lived anywhere else. Almost 11 years now. Prior to that we were in the East Midlands for almost 8 years, then many homes before that (all round the UK due to job moves). My son regards our house as his home because it's the one he grew up in, but I think it's more difficult to become attached to a house when you've moved as often as we have. Have you thought about a 'day bed'? Good luck with your number crunching.

Morgan said...

Great minds think alike, ladies! Oh, to come to rural Scotland again; if it were up to me, I would be there like a shot!

However, on balance today, after some discussions, I think we need to stay close to this village where we have wonderful medical support, and from where the YFG can have a choice of a couple of Sixth Forms if she chooses to leave her present school for the Sixth Form part of her education. We aren't too far from UJ and my dad, and all these things are important.

There aren't any wonderful bungalows on the market at the moment, and the FH agrees with me that the money I would have to spend on estate agency and solicitors' fees might be better directed, so I am going to talk to a builder I know next week.... watch this space!