Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Rough and tumble

Sunday was the calm before the storm - we had a lovely day which began in the village church, involved coming home and pottering about, having some lunch, relatives arriving in the afternoon and then all of us going off together to another church service about 8 miles away. It was a lovely, warm, sunny day, and everyone was in a good mood!! The YFG departed early at 8.30am with her friend's family for their camping trip - she was SO excited.

Both the church services were led by me, and the evening one was particularly special because it was the first time I was allowed to preach officially as part of the course I am doing to be Local Preacher. I hadn't told my dad that I was doing the course, so although he knew that I was taking the evening service, he hadn't realised what it all meant. He was quite touched, I think, and gave me a big hug at the end, which meant an awful lot to me.

Monday morning dawned dry and bright again, and the EFG went off to help with the decorating and making over at a friend's house, doing a spot of babysitting as well. The FH and I had a mission for the day - to put a big new hand-built wardrobe into our room. The FH had made it in pieces, and we had to remove the two old wardrobes, clean the 7 years of dust from behind them and then construct the new ones. I have been looking forward to this for ages - they include 8ft of hanging rail for us to share and 32 sq ft of shelves for all sorts - bedding, jumpers, etc - and we got off to a good start. We got the space cleared, and then we were beginning to put the new pieces of wood in, and we dropped one on my foot!!! OUCH! One of the veins in the top of my foot blew up like a balloon, and the words coming out of my mouth were quite unbecoming of a trainee local preacher! It really hurt, and we had to go to the local cottage hospital for an x-ray as I was afraid that the bones in the top of the foot were broken...they aren't, thank goodness! It is very bruised, and still sore today, but I am doing ok and hobbling around. It did put the construction back by a few hours, but we got the main body up, and the clothes back in, so that we could go to bed! The front is open at the moment, and I am going to organise some curtains, so that there is no need to open doors into the room and hopefully it will give us more room. The wardrobes we have taken out have served us well - in 5 houses over the past 18 or so years, so they don't owe us anything. They are not set for the tip yet, though, as they are going into the garage for storage purposes. Frugal recycling!


saving for travel said...

So sorry to hear about your foot.

Big Hugs

Congratulations on your preaching!

Sft x

Lesley said...

Hope the foot recovers quickly!