Wednesday 17 August 2011

Beetroot chutney recipe #2

This is my mum's recipe, dictated to me over the phone by UJ from an old handwritten recipe notebook that has been collecting favourite family recipes for a good number of years. I have no idea where it originally came from - but it has been a success tonight, thank goodness!

Ingredients:

3lb beetroot - boiled in slightly salted water for up to 1.5 hours, or until done if sooner. When cooled, cut up into small cubes.
1.5 lb cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 large onions, chopped
1/2 lb sugar ( I used brown)
1/4 tsp ground ginger - I used a tiny piece of fresh, grated
juice of one lemon
1 tsp salt
1 pint vinegar

Cook the chopped apples in the vinegar with the sugar, lemon juice, salt, ginger and onion for about 10 minutes until the apple is soft. Add the beetroot and cook for a further 15 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced and the mixture is fused well together. Stir frequently as it will start to stick when the liquid is reducing.

Bottle in warm, sterilised jars. This amount made 6 jars for me, of varying sizes.

No comments: