Sunday 11 September 2011

World Peace

At chapel this morning, the preacher was talking about racial justice and world peace; he gave us all a handout, with a list of "20 ways to build world peace". Although I don't know where he got this list from in order to be able to credit someone or an organisation with the idea, I am still going to share the list with you so that you can think about it too:

  • Take your share of responsibility for the world
  • Send letters and emails
  • Welcome strangers
  • Be a good friend
  • Don't make others wrong
  • Smile at others when you walk
  • Live simply so that others can simply live
  • Don't fight, forgive
  • Learn new ways
  • Stand up against bullying
  • Help those in need
  • Be peaceful inside yourself
  • Be tolerant
  • Join in
  • Talk about peace
  • Share what you have
  • Care for your environment
  • Aim so everyone wins
  • Be open minded
  • Listen well

That's quite a list, and a big wadge of ideas to take on board. I know that most of us do some of these things, but could we all do more? I am sure that some of these things come as second nature for people but others would be more of a challenge. I am thinking, as the preacher asked us to, about three of these things to really work on this week.

Today has been a good day, and I feel like I have got quite a bit done but in a relaxed and comfortable way. The School Washing is done and ironed, the homework has been checked and the children are upstairs, and have been nagged to within an inch of their lives in order to get them to bed before 10pm. The target was 9.30pm but there was a scrum for the shower with them both declaring at 9.15 that they were going for a shower, so more planning is needed in that area! We will have in under control soon :-)

We have battened down some of the hatches in preparation for the 25 mph winds which are due to hit us here tomorrow - that is nothing compared to the 70 mph gusts which I know are forecast for other areas, so we are fortunate that we should escape the worst of the winds here, but I shall be thinking of all my more northerly friends and thinking of you.

I have been thinking about those people I know who have been affected by the 9/11 events and remembrances today, and watching the tv coverage on the news with tears in my eyes. It is heartbreaking to watch those children reading out their late parent's names in the lists of people who died.


No comments: