Monday 5 September 2011

Sweet chilli jam

I had a little disappointment this week in that I thought I was growing peppers on two plants I bought from the local nursery, but I discovered that they are in fact chillies! So I had to look around and find out what to do with them, as I have never used them in cooking as I don't like hot and spicy food to that extent.

Both plants are well covered in chillies, and I picked about 15 of them last night. There are still more to come!

I found this recipe on the BBC Good Food website for Sweet Chilli Jam and the FH highly recommends it - says it is lovely! I have tasted a tiny spoonful and the taste starts off very sweet in your mouth but then the chilli kicks in and you taste the "bite" of the spice, and it is quite OK even for me. For the FH, who loves more spicy stuff, he says it is "Just right" so if you like spicy stuff, I'd say, "Have a go". The only downside to this recipe is that it calls for 8 red peppers, and at 70p each, that outlay was quite extravagant for 4 small jars of sauce/jam. If I can find a cheaper source of the peppers, I may make some more...

No comments: