Saturday 20 November 2010

Kitchen report again

I made the Herman mixture into two fruitcakes, and they have turned out well. When I took the two loaves out of the oven, I brushed them with a hot mixture of dissolved caster sugar with some orange essence/oil, so they smell gorgeous. One has been sliced and sampled, now residing in a tin, and the other is heading for the freezer.

Delia's mincemeat has sat in the oven for the requisite three hours, has come out "swimming in fat" as she puts it, and will now have to be stirred at very regular intervals for a couple of hours so that the fat coats the fruit and doesn't coagulate in to large lumps! Once it is cool, probably in the morning, I will add the brandy and pot it up. Smells lovely!

2 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

I can almost smell the heavenly scents wafting clear across the ocean and through the North Woods. I can tell you enjoy baking for the descriptive posts you write :) Enjoy

Morgan said...

Thanks, Mrs Mac. I do enjoy baking and I am looking forward to this coming week as we are having a coffee morning at chapel so I will be having a major baking session!! Christmas is such a special time of year that I like to have some recipes I just use at this time, so I will be digging those out to make in December. There is a recipe for a Stollen ring that I will share when I make it - although you could look in the Good Food magazine website, as it should be there somewhere.