Monday, 28 December 2009

Departures today

The first departure happened sometime overnight and was only discovered first thing this moring: one of the Buff Orpingtons died in the night. She was found, very cold and looking rather pecked, in the house this morning. Another Buff was also in a miserable state but alive. It is looking rather like they were being bullied, so we have removed the other one from the run. She spent the day in the greenhouse in the sun, and then tonight I have put her in a small pen in the workshop under a heat lamp to keep her warm. She ate voraciously when we offered her corn and warm mash today, so I think that part of the bullying had involved keeping them out of the food. I hope she makes it through the night, and we'll have to see what we think over the next couple of days as to whether we re-introduce her to the flock.

The second departure wasn't until 4pm when Uncle J left for home, taking his Christmas cake along with him. He had plans to go bellringing tonight and then has work tomorrow so he had to go. We were sorry as he is good fun to have around, but he will be back on New Year's Day.

The YFG and I popped into town today to Sainsbury's for clementines, carrots, and greens. That was what was on the list, but we also got a lovely joint of beef for NY and a new electric kettle, so we spent a little more than we bargained for, but it was OK. We were only gone just an hour, so that was a rather rapid shopping trip, but it just proves that it can be done when we are focussed! The town was quiet at 3.30pm with the shoppers wending their way home, but the lady on the till said that it had been busy at times.

The washing machine is on the go and I have kept the fire stoked up to help to get it dry overnight. The EFG is still unwell, so she had a shower and put on (my) new PJs today, and I changed her bed again to freshen it for her. She has been downstairs for some time today but not too long. The cough goes on. She woke at 7.30 this morning and I went in to sort out her pillows and duvet for her, and re-administer the cough meds, and then we all went back to sleep until 9am. She has not had many decent nights' sleep this holiday, so I will not be surprised if she sleeps for a day or two when this is over.

Tomorrow - that'll be Tuesday - I lose track of time so easily when we have these high days and holidays - not sure what we'll get up to but we haven't had time to do the Christmas puzzle yet, so that will be on the agenda this week.

No comments: