Saturday 28 March 2020

Anyone there?

Oh my goodness - we are back!

This seemed the right time to come back to this space again - whether anyone is out there reading it or not, it will be a record of these days for us in the future.

Coronavirus has come to Carlisle in significant numbers, much higher numbers than the Fens are currently experiencing, apparently. The YFG's uni has closed and moved all lectures online until September, so she is  home with us, and the college I attend in Birmingham has also closed for the foreseeable future: we are waiting to hear from the tutors how we are going to be taught next term.

A bit of catching up seems necessary:

The EFG passed her Masters at Edinburgh with Merit and moved home with us in July last year. She has been applying for lots of science jobs and had many interviews but nothing has come right for her just yet. She was taken on by Asda in the pre-Christmas boom and is still there - she has a 16 hour contract but usually works up to twice that as they haven't enough staff. She is currently off with pay for about a month as she has asthma and we want her to stay at home whilst the virus peaks. She will review that situation at the end of the period.

The YFG has been thriving in many areas of her life, like uni and gymnastics, but she's battling some health issues. We finally got to a consultant in January, who ordered an MRI and a colonoscopy, as well as multiple blood tests. The next appointment to go back is in June. He seemed convinced that her issues might be in the bowel, but she had another very painful three hour episode in the middle of the night Thursday night, and I am still more convinced that it is something to do with her gallbladder....we shall see.  The Geography degree course had included a week in a major international city as part of one of the modules, so they started off aiming for Hong Kong but the rioting stopped that, and they moved the plan to Singapore,  which the virus outbreak ended. London was on the cards for about a week and now, of course, all travel has been cancelled, so they will have to redesign that module, she thinks, or change their plans!

My stepson started his A level courses in September and is working incredibly diligently at RS, PE and Geography. 

The OH is working hard to support his congregation in the midst of this - we can more easily contact those who have the internet but we are desperately working on communications with those who are limited to less high-flying tech like radio, television and phone. He spends time on the phone each afternoon making pastoral phone calls to his flock, and has written a service to share with his people each week so far that the churches have been closed.

I've LOVED the college course in Birmingham and it has been a wonderful experience - the 18 of us in my cohort all get on together quite well, and we spend each morning [Monday - Thursday] in lectures, as well as Thursday afternoons. The college is a great place and the accommodation is very comfortable - single study bedrooms with en-suites, and lunch provided every day, as well as two evening meals. I have passed every module so far - no exams, just essay writing, and I am currently working on another set of essays to be handed in early April.

My dad had his 90th birthday in October and we had a very small get together which I was able to attend with the OH. Dad is definitely very frail, but he has care in the mornings to help his partner, and he remains in good spirits - the thing with my dad is that he is incredibly content!

I shall sort out some photos soon and get them on here, but I promised that last time and they didn't appear, so don't hold your breath. That last trip to the Cotswolds was lovely, then we had a few days near Pickering in July. We spent a weekend in Crieff followed by a couple of days in St Andrews to celebrate our first wedding anniversary so last year we did get around quite a bit. Oberammagau was on the cards for this summer but they have postponed the performance until 2022, so we shall have to rebook for then.

Take care of yourselves and do say HELLO if you pop in!




9 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Q wow!! What a lovely surprise to come on line and find a post from you! I've thought about you often and it's really god to catch up with your doings and those of your family. Take care of yourselves and God bless!

Angela said...

Hello! Welcome back to Blogland. Thanks for all the news. Praying esp for OH. Being church in a virtual community is exhausting, isn't it? I didn't realise you were planning an oberammergau trip. I can understand why they've postponed the play. Hope you get there in 2022! Keep well my friends xx

Athene said...

Good to hear from you again, I followed your old blog for many years, and wondered how you were getting on in your 'new' life. Glad to hear that things are going well for you. I hope you can all stay well and safe.

Mrs Shoestring said...

Hello ! Lovely to see you back on the blog ! I shall look forward to further updates when you can !

Kezzie said...

Hello there!!! Good to hear your news! Stay safe!

Jo said...

Hi. I am pleased to have some more news of you again. I followed your doings for a very long time on your blog. and I am so pleased to see you back for a while : )

Kim @ Him, Him Me said...

Hi Morgan,
Thankyou for the update. I think of you often as I drive past your college/UNI mlost days as i work at the Blood Transfusion place just down the road in Vincent Drive.
I'm still making your beetroot chutney and sausage plait by the way.
Happy Aniiversary by the way.
So sorry to hear that your daughters both have health problems.but that their studies have gone well so far.
It's a strange world at the moment isn't it? I'm so glad that our God is constant and unchanging, the same yesterday, today and always. He is our Rock to cling to in these uncertain times.

Take care.
Kim

ciao said...

Check everyday as I use your blog to keep up with the other blogs I like. Hope you and family keep well, up here in Newcastle it’s gone very quiet. The buses are running to a Sunday service only the postie and the refuse collectors are coming near. If it wasn’t for Iceland we wouldn’t have had an online delivery, will show our gratitude after all this has finished by doing my weekly shop there. We are both registered disabled and a son moved back home but he has COPD so don’t want him to go out much to the local shops,
God Bless Margaret xx

Heather said...

Good to hear most of your news.
I often check in to see if you have updated and so today was an unexpected delight.

I am a coeliac but also have an allergy to a common food preservative. The pain from that was like nothing else. The GP gave me pethidine for the pain. I was investigated for gall bladder too. Since finding the cause I have had no more problems.