Friday, 1 April 2011

April Fool's Day


No one has got me yet, but there are a few hours to go! The girls are off to school - should be there by now - and not a mention this morning of playing any tricks.

I'm going to look at a few things more carefully this month, and make a few Spring resolutions, I think. I am going to follow Froog's example and have a super frugal month, but I also need to look at our health and diet too, so I'll be doing some more comprehensive meal planning and looking for excuses to get some more exercise into our lives. What with all that has been going on at school, I have lost the plot a little here at home, and that needs rectifying sharpish.

The reason for having a super frugal month is to gather together enough money to buy another laptop without touching the savings, and indeed, without affecting my ability to continue to save, so that means finding about £350 out of the monthly spending budget by cutting back drastically on other things. I have put off this purchase for over a year now, and can't ignore it any longer. The EFG had a laptop for her birthday when she was going into Y8 at school, and it was a good one, but it broke down and was not able to be repaired, although we tried several repair shops to make sure the first wasn't just trying to sell us a new one! When it broke down, I had just bought a new one for the YFG and myself to share (this computer I am using now is a desktop which I have had for over 6 years and I think it is on its last legs) but with the breakdown of the EFG's, she sort of adopted it, and it is now full of her music, and the rest of us have to book a slot on it. Arguments are frequent, as this old one is not capable of doing some of the stuff that they want it to do, as the programmes are old, and upgrading them doesn't seem to be cost-effective. I have been looking at laptops on the internet, in the supermarkets, etc for a long time, and I don't think I can put it off any longer, so the aim will be to a) research the best model for our needs and b) to save up the right amount of money by the end of the month.

The FH, EFG and I could all do with losing some weight, and now that the warmer weather is in sight, now might be a good time to get to grips with that as well! I'm going to set my sights high, and aim for a post a day on here too!!

No comments: